Utilizing Loom in the Classroom
From Joel Glastetter
Sarah Olbrantz - Wells College
As an educator, have you ever wondered what life would be like if you did not have to repeat directions or continue to answer the same question over and over again in the classroom? Or, as a student, have you ever wished you could hear the instructions or key ideas from a lesson again at your own pace when it was convenient for you?
Well, I have a tech tool that helps solve both of these problems: Loom. Loom is an easy video messaging tool that helps you get information across through instantly shareable videos.
With this, there are endless possibilities:
- Record lessons and enable individualized learning
- Explain assignments or event details
- Compliment a curriculum
- Create an introductory hook or anticipatory set video to play at the beginning of any lesson
- Share directions on how to access an online platform or website
- Describe an issue or question you have while screencasting a document or website
- Introduce your course or course material (syllabus)
- Model how to solve a problem or annotate a text through the draw feature on your screen while recording
Other benefits include:
- Loom is quick and easy; you do not need to worry about the video being too large to send in an email or upload onto Google Drive
- Viewers can add comments/questions and react to your video with emojis
- As an educator, you can see who watched your video and how long they watched it.
- You can link a document or website (through an URL) at the end of the video (or next to the video explanation) for further information
- You can collaborate easily while still setting privacy settings to only specific people
- Embed your video onto any webpage
And the best news: Educators can get unlimited recordings and access to premium features for free!
During this session, we will explore all of the features of this tech tool and how it can support instruction. You choose the topic, and this fun, interactive session will provide step-by-step guidance on how to create a quick and easy video with Loom.
Conference Strand: How to/Integration
Target Audience: Grades K-12, Post-Secondary